1701B – Obsolete
- Separate Control Box and Spinstand for electrical and mechanical noise reduction.
- Low profile frame with air shock absorbers improves floor vibration isolation.
- Second revision of embedded servo with higher bandwidth.
- Suppresses floor vibrations more than five times better comparing to the previous model S-1701A+.
- Micro-positioning system with positioning repeatability less than 0.3µInch.
- Software controlled skew angle conversion without track repositioning.
- Easy conversion between head (HGA) and headstack (HSA) testing
Guzik S-1701B Micro Positioning Spinstand achieves better electrical and mechanical noise isolation compared to its predecessors S-1701A and S-1701A+ due to its separated control box and spinstand and air shock absorbers, installed inside the spinstand frame. It is equipped with a patented (US Patent: 5,382,887) closed loop positioning system consisting of a piezo substage and precision optical scales with 0.02µInch resolution. This, combined with second revision of the patented (US Patent: 6,023,145) embedded servo system, results in track positioning repeatability less than 0.3µInch, and more than five times suppression of low frequency floor vibrations in the range 0-25Hz. This capability is a requirement in MR-Head testing and high TPI track profile and track interference analysis.
S-1701B provides software controlled skew angle adjustment through a patented (US Patents: 6,006,614 and 5,254,946) software controlled mechanical configuration. Since the head gap is located in the center of a rotational system, skew angle control is accomplished by rotating the head around the head gap. In this manner the skew angle can be changed up to ±45° while remaining on the same track.
The capability of changing skew angles while remaining on track allows the user to perform a variety of measurements, including track profile analysis on a previously written track at varying skew angles. This measurement can produce a comb-shaped single-track profile plot.
Through a very simple mechanical conversion, S-1701B can be used for either head (HGA) or headstack (HSA) testing.
- Simultaneous and synchronous rotary and linear stage movements provide correct skew angles at all positions on the disk.
- Universal Micro Positioning Spinstand equipped for HGA, HSA, and Disk testing.
- Positioning repeatability less than 0.3µInch with optical scale resolution of 0.02µInch.
- Software controlled skew angles of ±45°.
- Optional clockwise (mirror) head loader allows testing bottom heads on the top.
- Interchangeable Head Stack (HSA) fixture can be designed to custom specifications.
- Interchangeable “Z-height” adapters, HGA mounting fixtures, and spindle chucks (disk sizes from 1.0″ to 3.5″).
- Optional optical alignment system available for head gap alignment within 0.001Inch to the center of the rotary system.
- Table top unit.
|Air Bearing Spindle|
|Interchangeable Spindle Chucks:||1.0″, 1.8″, 2.5″ and 3.5″ available|
|Motor:||Brushless DC, programmable, 100RPM – 20,000RPM|
|RPM Jitter:||0.005% typical|
|Acceleration||0 – 10,000RPM in approximately 3.25 seconds with 3.5″ disk mounted|
|Linear Position Repeatability (with servo option enabled):||less than 0.3µInch (maximum deviation on the slope of track profile)|
|Local Positioning Accuracy:||±0.4µInch typical, ±1µInch maximum|
|Absolute Positioning Accuracy Over the Entire Linear Travel:||±8µInch typical|
|(Absolute accuracy over the entire range of travel is determined by the accuracy of the linear encoders. Higher precision encoders can be provided on demand, with absolute accuracy of 4µInch (maximum) over the entire range.)|
|Linear Scale Resolution:||0.02µInch|
|Hysteresis:||Closed loop system, no hysteresis|
|Skew Angle Range:||±45°, software programmable|
|Skew Angle Resolution:||1 minute of arc.|
|Size: 24″ x 12″ x 18″||Size: 18″ x 18″ x 8″|
|Weight: 198 lbs||Weight: 36 lbs|
110 VAC ±15% 50/60Hz, 3A approximately
230 VAC ±15% 50/60Hz, 2A approximately
Operational: 15°C to 40°C, 90% maximum relative humidity, with no condensation.
- Signal was written on the track and the amplitude of the read signal was measured at 1.2 µInch increments across the track. The above Track Profile Plot displays the results of this measurement repeated 50 times. The plot above demonstrates less than 0.3 µInch positioning repeatability of the Guzik S-1701B spinstand. The deviation of the slope lines reflects both amplitude variation and position variation. The Maximum Deviation results of 0.07 µInch and 0.10 µInch were calculated without amplitude adjustment, the numbers would be even better after the amplitude adjustment. The Standard Deviation result of 0.017 µInch was calculated after amplitude adjustment.
- After a band erase, 20MHz signal was written on the track at -15° skew angle The skew angle of the head gap was changed to15°. Track Profile at this skew angle was measured ON THE SAME TRACK at 5 µInch increments. This measurement was performed in both the forward and backward directions. The resulting comb-shaped single-track profile plot displays the amplitude interference introduced by the angle between the magnetic transitions on the track and the head gap.